Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fall 2011 - Day 1

Inspiration
My environment is a great source of inspiration for my work.  I often find myself attempting weave elements of my environment with things that only exists inside my head.  Many of my friends and family inspire the work I create.

Working Environment
The fact that I have traveled and moved around since childhood has greatly influenced my ability to adapt to changing environments.  Because I rely on public transportation and often find myself waiting for a bus or a train. I often find myself with some idle time. I strive to carry a sketchbook in which I write short autobiographical poems or just draw/doodles.  These words and simple sketches sometimes become the base of projects.

Music is a vital component to my creative process.  I find it is easy to focus and channel ideas when my ears are engaged.  I consider myself a night creature and feel my best ideas reach in the late hours of the night.  I enjoy working alone but also enjoy collaborating with other artists and being able to bounce ideas from them. 

Working Process
I strive to push myself beyond the boundaries of materials and reach further into a number of mediums.  From print-making, to photography, to abstract painting, to ceramic to mixed media collage. I like employ various techniques and materials in my process.  I sometimes work very fast (especially when I paint) so I tend to work in small series.

Motivation
I consider my artistic process to be the best medicine for my soul.  When life gets chaotic, I know I can rely on my creative process to find ways to cope with internal/external stimulation.

Reading
I have developed a great love for books (mainly history, art processes, poetry, short stories, cookbooks and how-to-books.  I am currently reading Colonize this! A collection of feminist stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment