Thursday, November 17, 2011

MFA VISIT - Gallery Visit #2


George Segal, "The Artist in His Loft"

Medium:  Plaster, painted wood, mirror, porcelain and metal

"I usually make sculptures of people I know very well in situations that I've known them." - Segal

Upon entering the New American wing, I quickly surveyed the gallery and scanned the artwork.  My search came to a halt when my eyes were drawn in by what appeared to be a plaster sculpture of a man shaving.   I was quickly absorbed by the life-like essence of it and its surrounding.  The rusted old-fashioned razor in the man's hand reminded me of the one my father used.

As I moved about the work and took notes of my observations, I felt like a detective looking for clues.  Layers of plaster strips gave life to the figure and the drips and small tears gave a sense of weathering and accumulation of time.  The walls and cabinets looked dirty and imprinted with use.  The rust on the plumbing hardware and the stained porcelain sink gave a sense of history.  I suddenly began to feel like a voyeur, stealing glimpses of private moments in someone's life.  I continue to look deeper and almost lost sense of time, forgetting that I was in an art gallery and that other people walked about me.

Chelsea commented:  "that makes sense that would you like this work".  It was then that I remembered what had initially attracted me to the work, the plaster! 

I feel this greatly connects with the direction my work is taking in the Women In Action series.   Like Segal whose work captured a moment in " everyday rituals", I hope my photography and plaster casts will create a time capsule, saving moments of present-time for future viewings.


Endlessly Repeating Twentieth Century Modernism,
2007, Josiah McElheny, American, born in 1966
Josiah McElheny, "Endlessly Repeating Twentieth Century Modernism"
Medium: blown mirror glass, mirror, metal, wood and electric lighting.

I was first attracted to the luminosity and great sense of endlessness of space conveyed by this work.  Even though I have previously seen this piece, I found myself drawn to it as if for the first time.  Perhaps this time looking with a more analytical eye.  Looking forward, an endless multiplicity carried my eyes and my mind began wonder.  On a closer look, I found myself asking, what was it that made it possible for a reflective object to only reflect itself, over and over?

After reading the brief description of the work and learning about the artist's intention to show the possibility of a "world purged of human presence and individuality",  it made sense.  It brought reasons to the reaction of the viewer who sees into a mirror but does not see his/her reflection staring back.

I am not quite sure of the connections between this work and mine.  But perhaps what brings them together is the fact that both myself and McElheny are striving to show perspectives.  My current work focuses on the collective human impact on the world and everything in it.  It brings attention to ideas around the human existence and our relationship to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment