While browsing through Simmons College's website, I came across a listing of film screenings organized by one of their Student groups. The trailer seemed promising, I was very excited to have access to this film.
I thought the film was well put together, shedding light into the feminist art movement which began in the late 1960's. It showed examples of the collective strength and perseverance of women demanding to make their presence known in the white-male-dominated art world. Amongst the collective efforts were: The Woman's Building, "one of the first women-owned community centers", founded in 1971 in San Francisco; WomanHouse, a vacant house which was use for installations, 1971 Los Angeles; A.I.R. (Artists in Residence) Gallery, the first women-art cooperative in the United States, established in 1972 in New York City.
This film reminded me of the fact that although my political ideology is taking a more feminist direction (as well as my art process), my knowledge of the feminist art struggle is very limited. I have a great deal of work to do in terms of researching and exploring the work of not only women-led movements, but also educate myself around the works of other women artists. So to say the least, this film is inspirational!
“If it’s personal, it’s political. But if it’s very personal, it becomes art”
Art as a vehicle for positive social change.
No comments:
Post a Comment